Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cita Arriba (Or If You Will, a Literal Translation of Update)

Here are some of the pictures I promised, as I've collected quite a few:














We'll start with a shot of the Alhambra...it's exciting to see it, though I'll have to wait a bit to go inside.














Part of the old Moorish wall that ran around the city. Now it's the site of tapas bars and cool lights.














The view on my walk to school.

Also, we spent this last weekend in Sevilla, a couple of hours west of Granada, as a last hurrah before classes started. It's a very different sort of city, filled with royal palaces, one of the possible tombs of Christopher Columbus, numerous plazas, and hoards of Americans.














I felt the need to post this, though it didn't require much skill since it's beautiful on its own. The dome at the Alcazar palace, of which every square inch is decorated with craftwork.














Finally, the cathedral had a treasure room, golden crowns and all.

Other than that, orientation has gone by rather quickly, despite some of its tediousness. I've come to realize that high school/college Spanish has not prepared me very well for this...I'm sure I've ranted about this to most of you, so I'll spare the discussion for now. Tomorrow it's on to real classes and perhaps a bit of work!

As a final note, I live with an 80 somethingish woman, my host grandmother I suppose. She's pretty great...She spouts a lot of history at inappropriate times, such as in the middle of conversation directed elsewhere. I found out the other day, for example, that February has 28 days, while listening to an explanation about food or some such topic.

1 comment: