Monday, January 26, 2009

Bad Anthropology

I feel that I should post something about the hilarious and strange differences between Spaniards and Americans, but I've got nothing. I haven't felt the need to assimilate culturally, beyond the obvious initial awkwardness living with a different family and being trying to speak a different language. I suppose there's the siesta, but it doesn't feel like anything out of the ordinary to me- the stores close, so it's a little more formal than just eating and relaxing at home for a couple hours.

Maybe cultural differences just aren't as dramatic as I was expecting. They eat at different times...OK...so I have to get used to different eating patterns. No fireworks, no streamers or confetti, no orchestrated music. Though finding out the reasons behind eating a huge meal at 2:30 and barely anything after that would be a tougher and more interesting pursuit. Eh, people are just more culturally fluid than they think, if they've a mind to it.

In other news, I've been here a week, orientation continues. I've decided I should pursue the dulcimer after watching, of all things, an American folk concert in sight of the Alhambra.

Someday I'll have pictures, but it's been raining every day (a rare occurrence for Granada) and I've only taken a few photos.

1 comment: