Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Living with a family is definitely awkward at times, but also really great/enlightening. Here's the situation:

One apartment, six people. One señora (María José), her mother ("la abuela"), two brothers (aged 19 and 24), and my roommate (Viri) and I.

Viri and I were never really properly introduced to the brothers, and ended up living in their apartment for a week without seeing them. By now, we have a routine of ignoring each other for the most part, which while isn't ideal, is working out. However, María José is a very warm person who can talk for hours, and who has made us feel right at home. She told us the other day that she convinced someone she had four kids, rather than two because she always feels like her host students are part of the family. It's rather dangerous to ask her directions or advice before leaving the apartment, because she'll repeat herself at least three times to make sure it sinks in. Not that her suggestions aren't always spot on. She is also a fabulous cook, and most of our conversations involve learning about Spanish cuisine and how to say lots and lots of foods in Spanish.

La abuela is also great. She's definitely a bit senile, and I likes the opportunity of having two young people in the house to relate her rather disjointed stories to. She's pretty sick and recently moved into the apartment after spending some time in the hospital, but she proudly showed us her false teeth the second day we got here.

After la comida (the big lunch at 2:30/3ish), María José, her mother, Viri, and I often sit around for awhile talking. Yesterday we had a particularly good conversation ranging from learning the word for "broody" hens- clueca- to la abuela's experiences as a teenager on a farm during the first years of Franco's rule. I believe we were also given advice about what ice cream flavors to try. It's a really good way to learn about Spain and the people here, and I'm really glad I chose to do a home stay.

Also, on a completely different topic, I believe what Emily H. said about commenting is worth repeating here (I'm giving credit where it's due, not plagiarizing!). I set up the blog so that anyone can comment, and there should be a comment button down at the bottom of all of my posts if you want to leave a message. If you comment anonymously, just add your name so I know who you are!

4 comments:

  1. I love when you reference me in your posts. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh btw, when do you go to Morocco?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, okay one more...

    So I wanted to come visit you, but Granada is not a cheap place to get to from Brussels. Madrid, on the other hand, is. So, if you wanted to stop studying abroad in Granada, and start studying abroad in Madrid then I could get to see you for only 32 Euros. You dig?

    ReplyDelete